Global classrooms provide opportunities for students to collaborate with peers from around the world on authentic tasks and challenges through a variety of learning opportunities. Students will also develop the knowledge, skills and behaviors to be able to engage in collective action towards issues on the local, national, and global level. Students learn the attributes of Portrait of a Graduate and utilize these skills as they work with peers from around the globe.
The Global Classroom Project provides authentic opportunities for student learning through instructional opportunities intentionally designed to connect Portrait of a Graduate Attributes, Content, and the Sustainable Development Goals as identified by the United Nation.
Our Global Classroom partner school through this amazing journey will be The American School of Madrid.
Rolling Valley ES and The American School of Madrid, third-grade classrooms will be focusing on the Communicator and Ethical Global Citizen attribute from Fairfax County Public Schools Portrait of a Graduate. Our focus of the school year will be: How can you as soil scientists design a solution for the school grounds that conserves soil by reducing flooding and erosion. Our goals and intended learning outcomes will be:
- Students will explain the importance of soil in an ecosystem.
- Students will create and implement a plan to reduce erosion in the schoolyard.
- Students will share their findings with the American School of Madrid and the Rolling Valley Community.
Our school-based Global Classroom team includes:
- Merrie Hrabak, third grade teacher
- Nicole Taragna, third grade teacher
- Betsy McArdle, third grade teacher
- Jennifer Marsala, English as a second language teacher
- Sally Milian, English as a second language teacher
- Keith London, school-based technology specialist
Our Global Classroom Team includes:
- Megan Ullo, learning support teacher
- Kimberly Cobos, third grade teacher
- Dez Carter, third grade teacher
- Karen Campbell, Steam Teacher
- Fernando Montalban, technology specialist